Friday, March 7, 2014

Start spreading the news,I am leaving today! I want to be a part of it, New York, New York!!!!!

Hey guys! Here’s your world traveler right here! I am writing this from Gate 12 of NYC’s JFK airport! We just went through security, where (of course) our group was chosen for the “special” search…like for drugs. So they scanned our hands with these small machines and then we were passed on to the 3-D Body scanner. Once we collected our belongings, we headed to our terminal and ta-da! Here I am on someone’s hot spot because there isn’t free wifi here. Wonderful.



So last night, I left yall with a short, and upsetting blog post about sleeping in a terminal in LaGuardia (and for any of yall who have been through LaGuardia are turning up your noses and wondering if I got the proper shots to stay there) so luckily, after Ken complained, we got a hotel room at Hilton JFK. Ken and I got FIRST CLASS SEATING, in which they served me my water IN A GLASS. Yeah, be jealous. I deserved it after the hellish day of RDU. But my favorite part of the flight? Definitely flying over Philadelphia and then eventually seeing the NYC skyline lit up like a Christmas tree, like a personal welcome saying, “You have made it. Here’s your homeland.” Ken pointed out the Statue of Liberty out his window (cool huh? Yeah, all lit up and we flew OVER it) and then the empire state building and then finally the Freedom Tower, with the gorgeous spike-like thing that lit up like a shining sword. Guys, you don’t understand how gorgeous it really was! The Pictures do not give the skyline justice.



 Ken really needed the nap break, especially after rescheduling flights for 30 PEOPLE today! 






Once we landed we were hoping that our hotel could pick us up, which of course they only bus from JFK, not LaGuardia, so I got to experience my first ever NYC cab! It was wonderful and exhilarating! Franklin, the other guy in our small group of 5, commented later about how awful the man’s driving was, but it was awesome if I do say so myself! It reminded me of the bus driver in the Harry Potter movies…(does anyone know that reference?) Anyway it was super cool! While weaving in and out of traffic and coming within several inches of several wrecks, we survived. But Ken may have died from the $25.00+ taxi fee that he swallowed before leaving us at our hotel, and heading off to his. (Yeah, American Airlines gave us three rooms—two in one hotel and one room at another.)

 Mysti, Hannah and I, my roomies for the night in NYC!
 Our wonderful taxi that we crammed all 5 of us in…yeah, that was fun! 



So this morning we got up and were moving at 4:45, yeah, am. Like it’s still dark out and we didn’t get to our hotel til like midnight the night before. So our catnap in the hotel was greatly appreciated, but still doesn’t compensate for a day in RDU yesterday, American Airlines. After getting up and dressed, we headed downstairs to get on the shuttle to take us to JFK, but as the bus pulls in, about six flight attendants come down, cut in line and leave about 10 people without a ride…including us. So we had to wait for the next shuttle, which thankfully arrived about 10 minutes later, and we got to experience the lovely streets of New York. Again. (YAY!!!) Lets just say all of us in good ole NC have nothing to complain about when it comes to paying taxes for road construction. I could just about kiss any of those workers right about now as we dodge the huge holes in the highways and the giant chunks of cement that are missing. I wonder how often they have to replace their tires?!

 our SECOND shuttle this morning to JFK!

Here's my wonderful morning view as I watch the sunrise over the  NYC skyline!
 Here we are! 
My good, healthy chocolate chip muffin! 


Well, I hope everyone enjoyed their warm, comfy long nights of sleep! (Ha. I hate you all.) At least I can screech my excitement that I will get to spend the night in LONDON!!!!! We are working on Ken to see about going out and seeing the city and Big Ben and maybe a late dinner at a local pub (fingers crossed!) but we will see!

Keep those prayers going up guysssssss! If we have any more flight problems I may just die.
Adios my friends,

Katie Kimble

1 comment:

  1. You are definitely having an experience to remember and seeing things you would not see otherwise. The skyline of New York I can imagine was beautiful. I'm glad you are taking pictures and documenting so well. You will really laugh in years to come at all these experiences and the added tid bits added that weren't scheduled. Poor Ken may never sign up for another leader spot after this trip. Spain will come but think of all the experiences on the way there....some not so good but definitely memorable. Take care, be safe buddy and enjoy everything. Love you Gram

    ReplyDelete